Starting to plant

I've not tried the crops Andrew is putting in, but I had good yields after planting this time last year:

  • Yams
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Spinach
  • Parsley
  • Mint
  • Oregano
  • Strawberries

I had very average yields of:
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Broad beans
  • Onion

And failed with:
  • Pumpkin
  • Passion fruit

It was mainly the winter frosts that finished off the pumpkin and passion fruit. Every thing else survived through and is catching on again now. I'd really like to see the passion fruit work so I might relocate it to a more sheltered spot. Interestingly I put a second round of onions and spinach in half way through last summer and now they look as though they'll produce good yields early this summer. They didn't mature before last winter but survived through to now. As a result they are far more dense than the early summer crops I put it, so I'm looking forward to an early high yield on them.. but I seem to recall reading somewhere that onions mature when colder days start coming...

This time I'm trying tomatoes and capsicum but reckon its unlikely I'll get much there. I've put some seedlings in today so we'll see how they go.

What I ultimately want is a fairly self sustaining garden. Something I can dip into when I'm cashless or forget to do the shopping - so staple foods really. I don't really want to be constantly tending it and worrying about frosts and winds etc, so I'm looking for hardy crops like yams and potatoes.

I have a lemon, grape and fig tree in, but no movements there yet. Hopefully they'll make good progress this Summer.

My soil is pretty good and moist, with clayish areas and doc and clover growing generally all over - which signifies low nitrogen apparently.

I've started emailing a few permaculture people to see if there are people here with more local knowledge, or working bees etc. I'll blog what I find out.

0 comments:



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.